[unixODBC-dev] SAP ODBC test porting

Peter Harvey pharvey at peterharvey.org
Thu Mar 24 23:41:04 GMT 2005

Eric Sharkey wrote:

>Now that the SAP tests compile and we have a framework for running
>them, I've begun trying to run them on my driver/datasource.
>There's clearly a lot of work still to be done.
>
>Here are a couple of random thoughts:
>
> 1. It would be nice to standardize on test exit codes, beyond
>    just 0 = success, !0 = failure.  Not all data sources are the
>    same and if the driver/datasource state that some optional
>    feature required by a given test is not available, then the
>    test isn't really in either a success or failure state.  There
>    should be a way for the test to return N/A or other condition
>    codes.
>
> 2. tst.pl should have a mode that allows it to stop when a test
>    fails.  Ideally, it could even propt the user for an action to
>    take in this case.  (retry/stop/continue ...)
>
>My plan at the moment is to go though these tests looking for
>instances of gratuitous non-standard SQL and replace them with
>standard equivalents.  I'll also be adding feature tests to avoid
>using features which aren't supported.
>
>Peter, can you address the two points above by adding support for
>some sort of standard error table and run control to tst.pl?

Sure; I can do this. What exactly do you have in mind? Something like;

SUCCESS    - success - keep going
WARNING   - warning - keep going
FAILURE    - failure - stop
IGNORE   - warning or failure - keep going

The prompt option sounds like a good thing while a test suite is being
debugged but not for normal use (I think). But all return code could
have a PROMPT bit set?

As for the non-standard SQL. I have two minds on this. One says leave
the SAP stuff in there and consider these to be mostly SAP tests (at
least the ones with SAP specific SQL). The other says that we should
only be concerned with generic tests.