[unixODBC-dev] SAP ODBC test porting

Eric Sharkey sharkey at netrics.com
Thu Mar 24 22:41:14 GMT 2005

Now that the SAP tests compile and we have a framework for running
them, I've begun trying to run them on my driver/datasource.
There's clearly a lot of work still to be done.

Here are a couple of random thoughts:

 1. It would be nice to standardize on test exit codes, beyond
    just 0 = success, !0 = failure.  Not all data sources are the
    same and if the driver/datasource state that some optional
    feature required by a given test is not available, then the
    test isn't really in either a success or failure state.  There
    should be a way for the test to return N/A or other condition
    codes.

 2. tst.pl should have a mode that allows it to stop when a test
    fails.  Ideally, it could even propt the user for an action to
    take in this case.  (retry/stop/continue ...)

My plan at the moment is to go though these tests looking for
instances of gratuitous non-standard SQL and replace them with
standard equivalents.  I'll also be adding feature tests to avoid
using features which aren't supported.

Peter, can you address the two points above by adding support for
some sort of standard error table and run control to tst.pl?

Eric