[unixODBC-dev] what should I fix?

Eric Sharkey sharkey at netrics.com
Mon Mar 7 19:00:11 GMT 2005

> Well, my position, is that any change that goes into the directories I
> mentioned, I would like to look over before the change gets forgoten
> about, as they are the bits that will cause a lot of people a lot of
> pain if they cause problems that are not caught before the next release.

You seem to be dancing around the question I'm trying to ask.
Let me rephrase.

By what method do you prefer to look at these changes?:

  1. Patch files generated by the author and mailed to you/this list
     before commission
  2. Patch files generated by you via "cvs diff" commands, after the
     author has placed the patch in the repository

Some people like tight control of their sources and insist on method
1.  Frequently they feel that this improves reliability and security.

In my experience, method 2 is actually the more secure and reliable
method for collaborative development among untrusted developers,
since what you're looking at is the actual source code change, and there
may be small differences between posted and actual patches, either
intentionally or by error.

Eric