[unixODBC-dev] thread strategies

Marek Kustka mkustka at sophics.cz
Wed Jun 29 17:39:29 BST 2005

Nick Gorham wrote:
> Marek Kustka wrote:
>>[...]

> Ok, what platform is this? If you get any nearer tracking those messages
> down let me know, or if you can send as much as you are able to allow me
> to reproduce your setup then I will try and do it here.
>
> What log are you seeing that in?

Debian Linux Sarge. These messages come to stdout or stderr.
Maybe I should try with driver package provided UnixODBC library first.

> You could take this to support at easysoft.com if you like, as its not a
> unixODBC issue.

Well, I will when I will have more useful info for them.

>> If you call "firebird interface lib" our (adopted) ODBC library
>> (you saw it :/) then yes, it should be thread safe in terms of
>> not sharing any critical resources between connections and statements.
>
> The lib I mean is the libfbclient.so lib. All our IB/FB drivers for the
> last few years have been thread safe, its just that some of the
> libgds.so (the Borland version of the interface) were not thread safe,
> so we had to wrap mutexes around every call into the lib.
>

>> In case of older Easysoft IB/FB driver (ver.2.1.1), does it mean that
>> i cannot use N<3 for threading mode against firebird 1.52?
>>
> You can with the above proviso.

l /usr/lib/libgds*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 32 Jun 26 12:20 /usr/lib/libgds.so -> /opt/firebird/lib/libfbclient.so
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 32 Jun 26 12:20 /usr/lib/libgds.so.0 -> /opt/firebird/lib/libfbclient.so

I grasp this as follows: It will be safe to use IB/FB 2.1.1 driver with Threading
startegy mode <3 but there will be used some additional synchronization code
in the driver anyways (which is not necessary in my environment) and thus it may
be slower. Correct?

Thank you, Marek