[unixODBC-dev] Postgres: discarding NOTICE messages from SQL result

Nick Gorham nick at easysoft.com
Fri Sep 17 07:51:14 BST 2004

Martin Edlman wrote:

> Hello,
>
>     I'm using unixODBC 2.2.3 to connect to our PostgresSQL 7.3 server
> where stored procedures are used.
>     There are RAISE NOTICEs commands in these procedures, whose outputs
> are somehow transferred to the client (unixODBC), but it makes unixODBC
> driver unhappy and result is discarded.
>     May it be possible to ignore such non-result responses from server
> and let only real results to be processed by unixODBC API functions?
>     I'd like to keep such info as I administrate the db not through ODBC
> and these notices are rather important. ODBC is used by client app where
> I don't need these notices.
>
>     Example: I want to insert mail account into qmail_account table, the
> qmail_account_check stored procedure is triggered on insert and this
> procedure decides whether domain in private or public and raises notice
> about this.

Ok, thats down to the driver, I guess those notices could be converted
to informational messages.

>     Last question, just for info - does unixODBC use its own
> implementation of pgsql driver or does it use pgsql client libraries?

The driver(s) in the distributins are snapshots from the postgresql
windows distribution. They were originally done as the standard PG one
didn't work with unixODBC. It does now, so they are of less importance.

Neither AFAIK uses PG client libs, they go directly to the socket (this
may have changed).