[unixODBC-dev] Re: FreeTDS Digest, Vol 22, Issue 19

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Fri Nov 12 20:25:53 GMT 2004

Alf C Stockton wrote:

> I am also having a problem understanding the relationship between
> unixODBC & freetds. I thought that freetds was a driver that had to be
> built into unixODBC but from what you say these are two seperate
> libraries and are only "joined" when linked into the program.

Not quite, freetds builds a ODBC driver, the unixODBC driver manager is
linked to your program, and that then at run time loads the driver that
the app is asking for. So you don't need the -tds on your link line, the
driver manager loads the driver dynamically.

Have a look on the unixODBC web site, there are docs there that show how
to setup the ini files for various drivers.