[unixODBC-dev] SQLColAttribute()

Nick Gorham nick at lurcher.org
Tue Nov 2 07:56:17 GMT 2004

ZIGLIO, Frediano, VF-IT wrote:

>>seems the last

>>>Peter I think I already replied to this, the spec freddy
>>>

>>pointed us to
>>

>>>says otherwise.
>>>
>>>I also replied to the odbcinst issue, maybe my mail is
>>>

>>broken, I will
>>

>>>check the archive.
>>>

>>Sorry; it is probably my email problems. I am now registered
>>with unixODBC-Dev
>>using my 3 primary emails addresses - also I sometimes skip
>>emails from
>>unixODBC depending upon how many emails I have to deal with
>>:( Need to filter
>>them better - into their own folder. Anyway...
>>
>>My 'spec' is the MS online spec and the printed manuals from
>>MS Press. My
>>concern would be that changing the type would mean breaking
>>myodbc on MS
>>platforms (although I have yet to try (SQLEN*) on XP in this case.
>>
>>Peter
>>

>Perhaps a solution could be to change prototype only if SQLINTEGER and
>SQLLEN are incompatible... This break sources that are not 64-bit
>compliant. Abouut LP64 / LLP64 perhaps it's better to have SQLLEN 32-bit
>on LLP64 and SQLLEN 64-bit on LP64 as suggested by Martin J. Evans.

Yes, that would work, but it would still break the existing apps and
drivers on LP64 machines :-(

I think the prototype issue, is more a case of checking what the actual
headers say, if MS have released a MDAC with headers that say *SQLLEN
then I guess thats the way to go, if not, then I would suggest going
back, or at least making it optional.