[unixODBC-dev] Perl, DBI, DBD::ODBC and an ODBC Driver Manager

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at tsmg.us
Thu Jul 29 19:48:40 BST 2004

Martin J. Evans wrote:

>Untar DBD::ODBC and read the README.
>
>Build DBD::ODBC outside of CPAN:
>
>1. untar DBD::ODBC
>2. export ODBCHOME=/usr/local (I assume that is where you installed unixODBC)
>3. export DBI_DSN='dbi:ODBC:mydsn'
>4. export DBI_USER=dbusername
>5. export DBI_PASS=dbpassword

All done (and correct I think :-)

>6. perl Makefile.PL

This is what I get:

{/usr/src/tarballs/DBD-ODBC-1.09}# perl Makefile.PL
Useless use of private variable in void context at Makefile.PL line 430.

Configuring DBD::ODBC ...

>>>     Remember to actually *READ* the README file!
        And re-read it if you have any problems.

Using DBI 1.43 (for perl 5.008 on i386-linux-thread-multi) installed in
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.0/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/DBI
Using ODBC in /usr/lib
Use of uninitialized value in substitution (s///) at Makefile.PL line 154.

Hmm...I cannot find an ODBC driver manager that I recognize.
...And I know about these drivers:
        Microsoft ODBC, adabas, easysoft, empress, esodbc, informix,
        intersolve, iodbc, sapdb, solid, udbc, unixodbc

Would the case of unixODBC make a difference?  Heck I find no (-i)
unixodbc at all in the file system.  Maybe an (different?) entry in
/etc/freetds.conf?  Currently I have:

[MyServer2K]
       host = 1.2.3.4
       port = 1433
       tds version = 8.0

I thought I had to have freetds and friends to connect to a MS SQL Server.

Oh yeah, I did read the README four times.

Rod

--
Roderick A. Anderson
Project Manager