[unixODBC-dev] Perl, DBI, DBD::ODBC and an ODBC Driver Manager

Thu Jul 29 10:44:36 BST 2004

> Are there additional packages I need?

All you should need for running DBD::ODBC with unixODBC and FreeTDS is:
    unixODBC
    freetds-unixodbc
    perl-DBI
    perl-DBD-ODBC
Guess you're just missing perl-DBD-ODBC.

Very useful for configuration add:
    unixODBC-gui-qt
The Qt (KDE) GUI helps you choose the right driver parameters when
setting up
DSNs and it uses the .ini files in the right location (common mistake).

I usually use odbcinst (cmdline & batch) or ODBCConfig (interactive GUI)
to configure drivers and data sources e.g.
# odbcinst -i -d -r
[FreeTDS]
Description=FreeTDS ODBC Driver for Sybase and MS-SQL
Driver=/usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so
Setup=/usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so
$ odbcinst -i -s -r
[mydsn]
Driver      = FreeTDS
Description = Fun and Games
Trace       = No
Server      = 1.2.3.4
;TDS_Version = 7.0
Database    = mydb

"Setup" attribute gives you the ability to use the GUI
"ServerType" attribute you have in your "mydsn" is new to me.

Stefan