[unixODBC-dev] Perl, DBI, DBD::ODBC and an ODBC Driver Manager

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at tsmg.us
Thu Jul 29 01:26:25 BST 2004

Thanks to Nick I got unixODBC installed and I am able to connect to the
MS SQL Server using isql but when I try using the DBI in Perl I get an
error about needing DBD::ODBC.  No problem, I'm always forgetting to
install a module but in this case I can't get it to install.  Using perl
-MCPAN -e Shell I get most of the way through but it stops with not
being able to find an ODBC Driver Manager.  I'm sure I'm confused about
what a Driver Manager is so every permutation I tried failed.  I have
FreeTDS and unixODBC installed.

    {~}# rpm -qa | egrep -i 'freetds|odbc'
    freetds-devel-0.62.1-1
    unixODBC-drivers-2.2.9-2sr
    unixODBC-devel-2.2.9-2sr
    unixODBC-2.2.9-2sr
    freetds-unixodbc-0.62.1-1
    freetds-0.62.1-1
    freetds-doc-0.62.1-1
    unixODBC-drivers-devel-2.2.9-2sr

Are there additional packages I need?

Pretty simplistic setups/ini files (that I don't think I've screwed up
too bad.)

odbc.ini
    [ODBC Data Sources]
    mydsn

    [mydsn]
    Driver          = FreeTDS
    Description     = Fun and Games
    Trace           = No
    ServerType      = unixodbc
    Server          = 1.2.3.4
    Database        = mydb

    [Default]
    Driver          = FreeTDS

odbcinst.ini
    [FreeTDS]
    Driver          = /usr/lib/libtdsodbc.so.0.0.0

Once again all suggestions and pointers are appreciated.

Rod

--
Roderick A. Anderson
Project Manager (aka. Dogsbody)