[unixODBC-dev] Problem loading our ODBC driver

Nick Gorham nick.gorham at easysoft.com
Fri Dec 10 10:16:08 GMT 2004

Stefan Radman wrote:

>Maybe. What was the purpose of all that lib*lc stuff and static linking?

Ok, I remember, why now. Its linked with the "convienence" lib (thats
the lc stuff) as at that point the actual driver manager libs have not
been installed, so if it was just a -lodbcinst it could fail. The
convienence lib, is a libtool way of looking like its linking with the
lib, but actually it pulls in the objects that would make up the libs.

I wonder, if this would be better served by splitting things up a bit,
maybe having the main driver manager and support libs in one part of the
build, and the drivers, and setup libs in another, and a third with all
the apps in.

What do people think about this, It may well make some things (like the
above problem) simpler, and make it simpiler when (as Peter is now)
additional drivers come along.

I will see what the thought out there is, and if its positive, I will
set about this over the comming holidays.